What Do Just Volunteers Do?
The projects and their needs
(Remember to look at the ‘Blogs’ to learn more about past volunteers’ experiences)
- We help find volunteers for small charities in China (including HK), Malaysia and Mongolia. (Go to ‘The Projects We Work With’ page to see the full list).
- All projects require a minimum volunteering period.
- The shortest volunteering period is one month:
- Guangzhou summer camp – where basic spoken Mandarin is required (ideal for undergraduates studying Chinese.)
- Lotus Children’s Centre in Mongolia – where short term volunteers pay for their own accommodation.
- Most projects need people for 10-12 weeks (Mothers Choice in HK requires 8-12 months, SPICE in Hong Kong requires 7 weeks).
- The work available varies but tends to be mentoring and coaching of young people, teaching English and other basic subjects and helping to run summer camps.
- Before the assignment each volunteer will be briefed on their responsibilities.
- Most projects are happy to appoint volunteers in twos to provide mutual support (but each volunteer must be interviewed and accepted in their own right).
- On days off and in the evenings there will generally be opportunities to explore locally and go out and have fun.