- All our project partners are small, independent NGOs in East Asia;
- They mostly need help with English teaching and mentoring of children;
- Some require specialized skills such as IT experience or social work training;
- Neither we, nor they, charge any fees;
- With one exception, they all provide free accommodation;
- The projects require volunteers to be independent and responsible.
If you would like to consider volunteering for one of the organizations listed below please go to the relevant page and then contact us.
Even if they have their own website please DO NOT contact them directly (English speaking staff are rare and overworked)! Remember we charge no fees so by contacting them directly you are wasting their time and not benefiting yourself.
A collaboration between Soroptimists International Damansara and Just Volunteers!
Sponsored by Yayasan Azman Hashim
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
This programme requires volunteers all year round.
Commitment of 10-12 weeks minimum.
A programme to help improve literacy, spoken English and self confidence, among underprivileged local children living in orphanages and Myanmar refugees in an informal refugee school .
* * *
This programme requires volunteers in July.
Commitment of approx. 3 weeks. Basic spoken Mandarin required.
We are looking for volunteers to help run a summer school for physically handicapped young adults in Guangzhou. The purpose of the programme is to give the ‘campers’ an experience which boosts their self confidence and exposes them to a wide range of activities from public speaking to amateur movie making.
* * *
Ulaan Bataar, Mongolia
The Lotus Children’s Centre is a Mongolian non-profit, non-government organisation working with vulnerable children and families to provide the basic human rights of shelter, food and education. The Centre is run by its founder, Didi Kalika, with help and support from committed Mongolian staff as well as highly motivated international staff working mostly on a voluntary basis.
* * *
Mother’s Choice runs an orphanage in the centre of Hong Kong for children who are to be adopted. Responsible volunteers are needed to help care for and stimulate the young children – always working with professionals. For more information visit http://www.motherschoice.org
* * *
New Hope Foster Home cares for abandoned children with disabilities. They provide medical care and arrange for operations for those who need them. Go to http://www.hopefosterhome.com for information.
* * *
A collaboration between Chinese YMCA of HK and Just Volunteers!
Sponsored by Chow Tai Fook Charity Foundation
Every July and August we run 3 English summer camps for disadvantaged children in Hong Kong. Overseas volunteers work with local undergraduates running these fun, confidence building English programmes. Undergraduates (or immediate past graduates) of UK universities are given priority in this programme.
* * *
Vietnam & Mongolia
There are two projects which are not part of the Just Volunteers! approved programmes but which we believe are very well run and are in need of people.
- Fun English school for Hmong children in beautiful Northeast Vietnam, run by a local Hmong woman who is always looking for volunteer teachers for 4-6 weeks or so. They provide help with local accommodation.
- The Mongolian University of Science and Technology in Ulan Bataar, requires teachers of English for the full academic year starting each September. They provide accommodation and a monthly allowance.
* * *